Final Guidelines for CalHome and
Joe Serna Jr. Farmworker Housing Program Homeownership
The California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) is pleased to announce the release of:
1. 2023 Homeownership Super Notice of Funding Availability (Homeownership Super NOFA, or HOSN) for approximately $135 million in CalHome funds and approximately $35 million in Joe Serna Jr. Farmworker Housing Program (Serna) homeownership funds
2. CalHome Final Guidelines
3. Serna Homeownership Final Guidelines
The CalHome program supports homeownership programs aimed at lower income households, and in the case of a disaster, households at or below moderate income, and operated by private nonprofit and local government agencies, to increase homeownership, encourage neighborhood revitalization and sustainable development, and maximize use of existing homes.
The Joe Serna, Jr. Farmworker Housing program (Serna) supports development projects involving multiple home ownership units, including single-family subdivisions, for lower-income agricultural employees and their families, and programs that assist lower-income agricultural employees and their families to become or remain homeowners.
These final guidelines incorporate feedback received from participants during the Homeownership Super NOFA webinar, public comment letters, and additional conversations and research during the public outreach period.
The 2023 Homeownership Super Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) provides funding for the following homeownership activities:
• CalHome and Serna Homeownership Development Project Loans
• CalHome and Serna First-Time Homebuyer Mortgage Assistance
• CalHome and Serna Owner-Occupied Rehabilitation Assistance
• CalHome and Serna Technical Assistance for Self-Help Housing Projects
• CalHome Technical Assistance for Shared Housing Programs
• CalHome ADU/JADU Programs
• Serna Acquisition of Manufactured Housing Programs
Please note: These activities are for homeownership only. Activities involving rental housing are not eligible under this NOFA.
NOFA Release – January 6, 2023
Website Application Portal Available – January 20, 2023
Application Due Date – February 28, 2023 by 4pm
Tribal Application Due Date – March 30, 2023 by 4pm
Award Announcements – June 2023
Questions? email [email protected]